- A non-specialist teacher teaching Physics?
- A non-specialist teacher who could potentially teach Physics, in addition to your main subjects (eg. Maths, Engineering, Science, etc)?
- A teacher who wants to retrain as a Physics teacher?
- A teacher wishing to return to the profession to teach Physics?
If so, you could get FREE training to specialise as a Physics teacher.
The Sheffield Teaching School Alliance is pleased to offer a programme for non-specialist teachers who have the potential to teach Physics, want to retrain as a Physics teacher or wish to return to the profession and teach Physics. This high quality and high impact programme is in its second year and will be delivered in partnership with the Science Learning Network at Sheffield Hallam University. There is optional Master accreditation available.
9 afternoon face-to-face workshops.
Held from 1:30-5:30pm, at Silverdale School, Sheffield.
Workshop titles include:
- Introduction to the course and maths skills.
- Forces and Motion.
- Current and Static Electricity.
- Electromagnetism, Pressure and Moments.
- Thermal Physics.
- Earth and Space.
- Wrap-up and Evaluation.
- 22 November 2017
- 20 December 2017
- 24 January 2018
- 7 February 2018
- 14 March 2018
- 25 April 2018
- 23 May 2018
- 13 June 2018
- 27 June 2018
Feedback from previous cohorts
“Excellent course. Provides lots of clear instructions around the delivery of GCSE and KS3.”
By engaging with this training programme you will be able to:
- Increase your understanding and confidence at KS3 and KS4 in Physics.
- Develop an understanding of common misconceptions.
- Employ the effective use of scientific models.
- Rehearse opportunities for practical learning.
- Draw on a wider range of techniques and pedagogies to improve your students’ knowledge and understanding of Physics.
- Understand more about the researched benefits of active learning approaches.
- Teach the mathematical aspects of Physics with greater confidence.
Possible next progression step
Action research into an aspect of Physics teaching or the ITP or OTP.
Martin Walsh and Roy Prestwich: both of these facilitators have extensive experience teaching Physics and Martin leads the highly successful Physics department in Silverdale School.
This course is FREE to all schools - and even includes a contribution to cover your costs!
To book your place
Book now by contacting the Sheffield Teaching School Alliance.
Tel: 0114 235 7980.